Saturday, May 10, 2008

2/3rd MBA and Shanghai

The roller coaster one year MBA ride is now more than 2/3 complete. I am now into the elective phase of my MBA and I can finally choose what I wanna really study. As part of the elective study ,I am in Shanghai, China for the 6 weeks in what is the module C of my MBA. The experience of Shanghai has so far been mixed. Seeing the infrastruture in the country gave me reality check on the state of infrastructure in my own country-India. Economists and politicians always compare India -China and talk of they being in the same league. However I would say China is atleast 20 years ahead of us much like the US is atleast 50-60 years ahead of us in terms of quality of life and infrastructure.
However I find it astonishing that China still has not yet learnt the ropes when it comes to the language of doing Business - English. Vast majority still do not have the basic english skills and restuarants( even in the decent ones )don't have english Menus. Mind you these are my first impressions of China and this could change as I continue to explore and get awed by this country. So to survive in China means that we should know atleast some basic Mandarin. I am in the process of acquiring the Survival mandarin. I do not want to end up eating scorpions thinking that I am having a chinese delicacy. Scorpions of all things........no way.......
I will not make the false promise that I will write more about China in the next few weeks. This is simply because I am unaware of my schedule right now and will b able to write more only if I have appropriate time for doing so.

1 comment:

Raghunath said...

Hey,

I have admit for this intake. I want to talk to you. How can I communicate.
I really liked the way you have written about HULT.